By Ted Schnell • BocaJump
The Elgin City Council on Wednesday will be asked to approve spending an additional $47,824 in federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds as a result of change orders to two homes being remodeled.
BocaJump will provide live coverage of the City Council meeting.
The source of the funding is a nearly $2.16 million grant from HUD that the city is using to buy and rehabilitate abandoned and foreclosed properties to restore them to residential use.
Under the program, the city typically buys and rehabs the buildings and then sells them, usually at a loss, to those who meet the federal program’s income guidelines.
Two of the properties the city is renovating, at 463 and 457-59 E. Chicago St., are historic homes and required change orders to the original bid amounts to complete the work.
Following are the agendas for the council’s two meetings on Wednesday, which start at 6 and 7 p.m.
ELGIN CITY COUNCIL | COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING
6 p.m. May 25, 2011 | City Council Chambers
► Call to Order
► Roll Call
► Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting -May 11, 2011
► Special Presentations and Reports
A. Water Master Plan Presentation Initiatives and Other Items
B. Consideration of Amendment No. 1 to the Agreement with Collins Engineers, Inc. Adding Services to the 2010-11 Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Program ($73,544)
OBJECTIVE: To ensure bridge infrastructure is safe, properly inventoried and in compliance with Federal and State regulations and guidelines
RECOMMENDATION: Amend the current professional services agreement with Collins Engineers, Inc. to add the additional services in the amount of $73,544.
C. Consideration of License Agreement with Justin Hodge for Pedal Boat Rental and Food Concessions in Festival Park (No Cost to the City)
OBJECTIVE: To provide additional activities and amenities for visitors to Festival Park
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the license agreement with Justin Hodge for pedal boat rental and food concession operations in Festival Park.
D. Consideration of Agreement with TischlerBise for a Cost of Service Analysis ($70,175)
OBJECTIVE: To award a multi-year contract for professional services to perform a cost of service analysis to establish appropriate user fees
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize the award of the cost of service analysis to TischlerBise in the amount of $70,175 over three years.
E. Consideration of Feasibility Study for Establishing a Business District at Otter Creek Retail Center (No Cost to the City)
OBJECTIVE: Conduct a feasibility study to determine the viability of creating a Business District at the Otter Creek retail center
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize a feasibility for creating a Business District at the Otter Creek retail center.
F. Consideration of 302 W. Chicago Street ROPE Home Restoration ($610,293)
OBJECTIVE: To provide updated cost benefit analysis of the proposed restoration of the planned ROPE officer residence at 302 W. Chicago Street
RECOMMENDATION: Decline the submitted bids (11-022), do not proceed with the project at this time and look for other funding alternatives or uses for the property.
G. Consideration of Change Order for the NSP Properties at 463 and 457-59 E. Chicago Street ($47,824)
OBJECTIVE: Provide additional funding to complete the renovation of the NSP properties at 463 and 457-59 E. Chicago Street
RECOMMENDATION: Approve change orders to complete the renovation of the properties in the amount of $47,824.
► Announcements from Council
► Announcements from Staff
► Executive Session
H. Pending, Probable or Imminent Litigation Against, Affecting, or on Behalf of the Public Body Before a Court or Administrative Tribunal -Exempt Under Section 120/2(c)(11) of the Open Meetings Act
ELGIN CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
7 p.m. May 25, 2011 | City Council Chambers
► Call to Order
► Invocation – Dale Jaacks from God’s Oasis
► Pledge of Allegiance
► Roll Call
► Minutes of Previous Meeting – May 11, 2011
National Bike to Work Week Proclamation
► Recognize Persons Present
1. 11-023 Wing Park Electrical Work ($20,100)
2. 11-028 Exterior Caulking Repairs at the Centre ($74,800)
3. 11-033 Janitorial Cleaning Services for Elgin Sports Complex and Eastside Recreation Center ($25,080)
4. 11-034 Clifford Owasco Park Improvements ($88,176)
► Other Business
1. Consideration of Petition 08-11 Requesting an Amendment to PAB Planned Area Business District Ordinance Number G76-04, to Allow General Warehousing and Storage as a Permitted Land Use; Property Located at 2498 Bushwood Drive; by Mark Ebacher as Applicant, and The Grove at Randall, LLC, d/b/a Interstate Partners, as Owner
2. Resolution Authorizing Execution of an Economic Incentive Agreement with Sears Holdings Management Corporation (2428 Bath Road)
3. Resolution Authorizing Execution of a Settlement Agreement with Arch Insurance Company Regarding the Waterford Subdivision Performance Bonds (Neighborhood 2 and Neighborhood 3)
► Consent Agenda (Considered by the council to be routine and noncontroversial and will be enacted by one motion and one roll call vote.)
1. Resolution Appointing Members to Various Boards and Commissions
2. Ordinance Adopting an Identity Protection Policy in Accordance with the Identity Protection Act
3. Ordinance Amending Chapter 6.06 of the Elgin Municipal Code, 1976, as Amended, Entitled “Alcoholic Liquor Dealers”
4. Ordinance Providing for the Issuance of $9,695,000 General Obligation Corporate Purpose Bonds, Series 2011, of the City of Elgin, Kane and Cook Counties, Illinois, and Providing for the Levy and Collection of a Direct Annual Tax for the Payment of the Principal of and Interest on Said Bonds
► Miscellaneous Business
1. Minutes of Various Boards and Commissions a. Building Commission – April 27, 2011
b. Electrical Committee – March 17, 2011
c. Heritage Design Review Subcommittee – April 12, 2011
d. Planning and Development Commission – April 18, 2011
e. Retiree Health Insurance Trust Fund – February 7, 2011
f. Committee of the Whole Minutes – April 27, 2011
g. City Council Minutes – April 27, 2011
2. Hotel/Motel Report – April 2011
3. Disbursement Report
Next Committee of the Whole meeting: 6 p.m. Wednesday, June 8, 2011, in the City Council Chambers
Next Regular Elgin City Council meeting: 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 8, 2011, in the City Council Chambers
The city of Elgin is subject to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who require certain accommodations in order to allow them to observe and/or participate in this meeting, or who have questions regarding the accessibility of the meeting or the facilities, are requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (847) 931-6076 or TT/TDD (847) 931-5616 promptly to allow the City of Elgin to make reasonable accommodations for those persons.